Now on the shelves of stores more often you can find organic food. They cost a little more than usual but are considered more beneficial to health. But is that really the truth? Is Organic food really healthier than Non-organic food ? Let’s finds out!
What is organic food?
Organic foods are foods that come from organic farming. Ecologically means that, for example, organic fruits and organic vegetables must not be genetically modified. Besides, you do not have chemical nuggets like pesticides and chemical fertilizers on and in your food. When it comes to organic farming, strict attention is paid to the environment and how it can be used sustainably.
Animal organic products come from animals that are kept in an appropriate manner. They should not be treated with antibiotics and hormones. There are exceptions, however, if the animal does not get well without other options. After that, it comes much later to the butcher. Animals that have been given antibiotics twice in their lifetime are no longer organic animals.
Organic and inorganic products: what is the difference?
An organic product is a product grown or produced without using genetically modified organisms, pesticides, synthetic fertilizers.
Depending on the country, organic products may be called differently:
- “Bio (Bio)” in Germany and in France,
- “Eco- (Eko)” in Holland and Scandinavian countries,
- “Organic” in the USA, UK and Japan, India & other Asian Countries!
Is Organic Food Healthier than Non-organic Food ?
Media reports often try to minimize or negate these benefits of organically grown foods. Of course, it’s true that healthy eating does not start with individual products. Above all, healthy nutrition means a balanced diet and adequate intake of vital nutrients.
However, that does not affect the fact that organic foods are still healthier. Yes, broccoli is healthier than a bar of chocolate, whether it’s organic chocolate or a regular one. But organically grown broccoli is even more beneficial to your health. Still confused? Is Organic Food Healthier than Non-organic Food?
Why is Organic healthier?
Because they grow at a natural pace and are not accelerated by artificial fertilizers, organic fruits and vegetables contain more nutrients. Plants and animals that grow up under biological conditions have less water retention, ie the meat shrinks less during frying or cooking.
The fruits and vegetables contain more vitamins and antioxidants as they have not been “diluted” in percentage by the water retention. In addition, organic meat or fish contains fewer residues of antibiotics and less multi-resistant germs. Animal products usually contain more omega-3 fatty acids. That’s why organic often tastes better and healthier.
You can also check our article about Importance of eating healthy
The benefits of organic products
Unlike vegetables or fruits, obtained through the use of growth accelerators or GMOs, natural organic products are natural (natural).
There is no direct evidence of their beneficial effect on the organism, but, as studies show, the plants that were grown in the garden without the use of various stimulants contain much less harmful substances than those that grow on the fields of large farms.
As you know, organic products are not able to have a negative impact on human health for several reasons:
- They do not have GMOs;
- They boast the highest amount of vitamins and trace elements.
Despite all the positive qualities, organic food products have two disadvantages:
- Short shelf life;
- Higher cost because their yield is much lower than that of inorganic ones, and production also requires more laborious and cash investments.
5 reasons to prefer organic foods:
- For good health. Known studies confirming a higher content of vitamins and antioxidants in organic fruits and vegetables.
- No harmful additives. There is a limited list of additives allowed for use in organic production. So, as part of organic food, you will never find the popular and dangerous ones: flavor enhancer monosodium glutamate, sweetener aspartame or hydrogenated fat margarine.
- Guaranteed pesticide free. There is a direct dependence of the use of products with residual pesticides and health problems. Choosing organic products, you exclude the ingress of these harmful substances into the body.
- Nitrates below normal. In organic farming, the use of mineral fertilizers is prohibited and more natural methods of cultivation are recognized, using manure, compost, changing crops, etc.
- Caring for the environment. On organic farms, the land is being restored, nearby reservoirs do not suffer from harmful fertilizer runoff, and there is a greater variety of living creatures on the field.
Of course, the harm of inorganic products is minimal and at a young age may be imperceptible, however, older people and those who suffer from chronic diseases, doctors recommend eating organic, ie natural food, because it brings health much more benefits and prolongs life.
Frequently asked questions about Organic Products
If you are determined to choose organic products for yourself and your family, but you have financial constraints, or are not ready to take everything at once, we recommend paying attention to the most important products that you should buy organic:
- Baby food Canned or homemade is not so important. The main thing is that all ingredients are organic.
- Dairy products, cheese, meat. Organic analogs do not contain hormones and antibiotics.
- Fresh greens. Leafy greens growing close to the soil tend to have high levels of residual pesticides.
- Dried apricots of organic origin are not only free from pesticides and very sweet in taste, but also not processed with sulfur oxide (which is why it has a dark color).
- Root crops (potatoes in particular), stone fruits (plums, apricots, peaches, cherries), nuts (peanuts, almonds) often contain a variety of residual pesticides.
- Apples and strawberries are among the most polluted fruits, as many pesticides are used to grow apples.
- Tea. If we are to going to drink this tea, then only the best quality pesticides give a metallic taste to the tea.
What are pesticides (used in non-organic food) and how are they harmful?
Pesticides are sprayed on plants to protect against pests and diseases. Subdivided into:
- Insecticides (against insects),
- Fungicides (against fungi),
- Herbicides (against weeds).
These toxic chemicals cause the destruction of the fertile soil layer, pollute groundwater, cause chronic diseases (allergies, cancer, Parkinson’s disease). To date, over 350 pesticides in the world have been approved for use.
What do you think of organic foods? Is Organic Food Healthier than Non-organic Food ? Do you care about the meaning behind it?